Monday, March 5, 2007

The Golf Sneak - Post 4: Getting Caught

One thing that will eventually occur for anyone who sneaks on "professionally", is getting caught by the marshall or golf pro. Another golf employee to watch out for is the beer girl, cart boy or any clubhouse employee. I used to think that avoiding the marshall or clubhouse window was enough, but I have learned that lesson. Usually, once you're on, the members or other golfers will leave you alone. I'm surprised how stuffy members will give you stares but not say anything.

I've gotten caught several times. I was greedy at a very posh daily fee course and the head pro sent a marshall to tell me to check in at the clubhouse. Another time, a marshall with a holstered gun and cowboy hat asked me if I was a member. I said that I wasn't and said that I honestly wanted to play at this particular private course and saw an opportunity since there was no one on the front nine. He was nice enough to let me finish the nine holes and told me never to come back. There was nothing like hitting a 300 yard line drive as he pulled away.

The best thing to do when getting caught is to be honest and say that you won't do it again.

No comments: